Wednesday, March 23, 2011

To Japan with Love

When I was shopping online for Bento supplies last month, I found some great pricing on an eBay store that was actually located in Japan. I had never purchased internationally before, but her prices were reasonable, and she was able to combine shipping for me. My package arrived to my home straight from Japan about 3 weeks ago, with a sweet little note written in English. I can't help but wonder whether she was affected by the horrific events in Japan; in my eBay feedback note I asked her how she was doing.... waiting.
Here I have made my Bento today with some of the supplies sent to my by citron1040.
On the left is vegetable cutter for the orange rind flowers on the broccoli slaw and a rabbit mayo container that is holding some rice wine vinegar and sesame oil. On the right is the Nori cutter I used to make the face on top of the rice. I cut the hair from nori by hand (you can't see the little cow licks on top!) There is also a little soy sauce container shaped like a pig next the the chicken and broccoli. Look how cute ketchup turns out for blushing her cheeks!
I hope that the good Lord shines His grace and healing down onto the people of Japan during this terrible time. Their culture has brought many moments of joy to my family, especially to my brother, who lives in Asia, has associates and friends in Japan, and travels to Tokyo regularly for business. It's from my brother that I learned about the trend in culture of Japan to love things so little and cute, like Bento. This craft is an art and an expression of love in that culture. So, this is for you, Japan, back at you, With Love from Pennsylvania, USA.

1 comment:

  1. Wow that's some beautiful bento! It's too pretty to eat! *winks* Vanna

    ReplyDelete